The Watson-Brown Foundation seeks a professional to manage its history and environmental science education programs. The Educator serves as the lead for all educational services at Hickory Hill and the Tom Watson Birthplace and is charged with developing and overseeing all educational programs in history and environmental science of the institution. The Educator works with teachers, children, students, and the general public, and devises and implements programs that relate both to special exhibitions, to the museum's permanent collection, and to the Georgia Performance Standards.
- Provides direct educational programming to the public.
- Leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of all educational programs, including but not limited to School Programs, Outreach, and Summer Camps.
- Participates directly in the preparation and execution of special programs including Teacher Workshops, Group Tours, and others.
- Supervises all volunteers and interns, and serves as a trainer and mentor for any staff performing education work.
- Works with the historic livestock program, feeding and caring for the chicken and peafowl flocks, and the heirloom garden program.
- Assists in the development and administration of the Education Operating Budget.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, and training of interns.
- Performs independent research to prepare historically and scientifically accurate programs.
- Properly manages the education collections and all spaces assigned to him/her.
- Assists with coordinating the activities of the Junior Board program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or possess a valid U.S. work visa and be presently residing in the United States.
- Possess a Bachelor's or Master's degree in history, public history, museum studies, environmental science, education, anthropology, or other related field.
- Two years paid experience working as an educator, interpreter, or historian in a museum or historic site environment.
- Have previous paid work experience with children.
- Be able to pass a background check and drug test.
- Be physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, lead extended outdoor guided tours involving extensive walking and standing.
- Be able to lift up to thirty pounds without assistance.
Located in Thomson, Georgia, Hickory Hill is situated on 256 wooded and landscaped acres; the house and grounds interpret the life and political career of Senator Thomas E. Watson, Georgia's foremost Populist statesman and trial attorney. The site is owned and operated by the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc. The Watson-Brown Foundation is a Foundation dedicated to improving education in the American South by funding its schools and students, preserving its history, encouraging responsible scholarship, and promoting the memory and values of its spiritual founders. The Foundation owns and operates three historic house museums. For more information about Hickory Hill access www.hickory-hill.org. For more information about the Watson-Brown Foundation access www.watson-brown.org.
Salary & Work Schedule: $28,000-$32,000 (DOE) per year plus benefits. Full time, 40 hours per week, occasional weekends and evenings as required.
How To Apply: Applicants should submit a packet containing the following:
Submit applications to:
Ms. Michelle Zupan
502 Hickory Hill Drive
Thomson, GA 30824
Email submissions are acceptable in Word or PDF format to email@example.com
Deadline: June 30, 2012
Back to positions available